Re: New User Question

Hello,
On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 10:27:05PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Still other models will only work with SRM or only work with Alpha
> BIOS.  If your machine falls into this final case it may be trickier
> (but not impossible) to install Debian on it.  My recollection is that
> the woody installer worked with Alpha BIOS but the sarge installer
> does not, so you may have to install woody and then upgrade.

Strictly speaking there is no "BIOS" on alphas. There are several boot
mechanisms, the most prominent are SRM/aboot and AlphaBIOS/Milo. I
strongly suggest trying to use SRM/aboot unless you want to dualboot
NT. And yes, woody supported MILO, but noone has stepped up to port
this support to d-i, and hence no "direct" install of Sarge possible
on MILO-only machines.

Greetings

          Helge

--