Re: AS 4100 boot

On Tue, 2004-12-14 18:23:49 +0100,  "Jiøí Jánský" <linux007@centrum.cz>
wrote in message <S3778655AbULNRXt/20041214172359Z+9888@mail5.centrum.cz>:
> I downloaded Debian GNU/Linux testing "Sarge" - Official Snapshot alpha Binary-1 CD  and tried boot from it.

This CD should come along with a file called "System.map".

> Few last line of report:
>
> POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
> MCPCIA machine check: vextor=0x600 pc=0xfffffc00003f4a1c code=0x2020000
> machine check type unknown
> pc=[<fffffc00003f4a1c>] ra=[<fffffc000g3f4a08>] p=0000 not tainted
> Uv0=0000000000000007
> t07c093e7df2f7daff t=7c09347
>
> What does it mean? Does linux need detect computer type ("machine check typ unknown"), or here is different problem?
> What can I do to solve it?

This basically means that either the kernel did do some bad things to
the hardware and was shot dead, or the hardware is broken.

My guess is that it's Linux' failure; for sure, it's not a computer type
detection problem.

Take the System.map from that CD and find lines in the form
"<some address> <function name>". In this file, look up the functions to
which the "pc" and "ra" addresses belong. (The file always contains a
function's start address, so most probably you won't have exact matches,
but you need to find the largest mentioned address being less or equal
the "pc" or "ra" address.)

After you've looked up those two, we can probably guess what's going
wrong here.

> Can anybody still advice me something to do?

Look up the Program Counter and Return Address and let's see what we can
make out of that information :)

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw@lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O