2.6 kernel and partitions

Hello,
  I tried compiling a 2.6.5 kernel and booting it on the alpha.  It
compilied fine but then it died during booting. The kernel was built by
me using the kernel-source-2.6.5 package.

The problem was that it said it didn't understand the partition table
on my disk.  The table is BSD disklabel and older versions of Linux
can understand it, as seen here:
Partition check:
 /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: p1 p2 p3 p4 p5 p6
 /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0: p1 p2 p3 < p5 p6 p7 >

The first disk is the one I'm interested in.  The second is a standard
(for i386) partitioned disk that I had in there to copy some files over.
When the alpha is booted with 2.6.5 it cannot see the partition table of
the first one but it can see the second.

The config file has the following:
CONFIG_PARTITION_ADVANCED=y
# CONFIG_ACORN_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_OSF_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_AMIGA_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_ATARI_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_MAC_PARTITION is not set
CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION=y
CONFIG_BSD_DISKLABEL=y
# CONFIG_MINIX_SUBPARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_SOLARIS_X86_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_UNIXWARE_DISKLABEL is not set
# CONFIG_LDM_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_NEC98_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_SGI_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_ULTRIX_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_SUN_PARTITION is not set
# CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION is not set

What am i doing wrong? Or doesn't the 2.6.5 kernel handle the
disklabels.

  - Craig
--
Craig Small      GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.enc.com.au/   MIEE         Debian developer