Kernel 2.6 compile error 139

--
Steven Davy
TSSG WIT Waterford
IPng Research groupHi,

A Mail was posted
http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2003/debian-alpha-200312/msg00069.html
and i am having the exact same problem, but i cant seem to work out the
solution.

I am compiling the 2.6.2 kernel on the Alpha lx168 machine and up until the
final process its compiles but at the end the following error message is
recieved

 CHK     include/linux/compile.h
  GEN     .version
  CHK     include/linux/compile.h
  UPD     include/linux/compile.h
  CC      init/version.o
  LD      init/built-in.o
  LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 139

The solution sugested was to update binutils, and i have done that , its
updates to the latest, and i tried the unstable latest too. Some other
solutions were to compile only the bacis kernel and everything else as
modules, this was also done. I tried to use the kernel-image-2.6.2-1-generic
but its wouldnt load for me complaining about couldnt not mount root
device??. I really cant think of any other solutions.i am using scsi drives
too.

any help would be great

Steven Davy