Re: How to handle the -mieee SIGFPE problem in normal Debian packages

I guess I'm in the minority (based on prior discussions on
debian-alpha), but IMHO the above is a better way to work around this
issue than making slower performance the default... :-)

Yeah, many of us would rather have applications "just work".
Those doing serious FP work on an Alpha for which SIGFPE's
are a problem (sub EV6) would probably get better performance
on those apps from a sub $1000 x86 box.
I'm greatly looking forward to running Konqueror
without grimacing everytime I get a SIGFPE.
(that and a few dozen other applications, plus those
that haven't been written yet).
If I have something that is performance sensitive,
I'll spend the time to recompile it with options
I deem appropriate.
Why continue to make development on Alpha difficult?
I imagine most developers think "who the f*** cares!"
when they hear their code is broken Alpha.
It's a dying architecture, at least make it easy for
those that inherit these boxes to have a good Debian/Alpha
experience. Just my $.02 of course. ...tom