Re: Dbian Linux (woody) for AXP can't boot on DS15

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 11:22:41AM -0500, mel kravitz wrote:

> I used swriteboot to install 0.9b after building it from
> src(.tar.gz).Tested disk for boot on an as1200 and ds10-both(ok).
> I build all my kernels and quite a few programs from
> src, never had a problem before.
>
> On the ds15->
> boot dka0 -fl a ,jumps to aboot prompt.thats not
> the problem here, i will be more specific:(from aboot prompt)
> b 4/vmlinuz-2.4.24 root=/dev/sda4 gives:
> ....booting starts normally.. then aborts with:
> Kernel Stack not valid halt
> PC=0
> Error detected by Pchip0
> APerror=002000000003b8101
> lost error
> no devsel
> ------
> repeated with 2.6.2 kernel gives same SRM console errors..
> I will check with HP SRM guys see what they say..report what i find.

OK, I finally got my hands on a DS15 to play with, and here's what I saw:

 - 2.4.24 kernel booted and seemed fine.

 - 2.6.2 kernel booted and seemed fine.

HOWEVER, these were ONLY true when:

   a. the kernels were configured WITHOUT "AGP".

   b. the kernels were run ONLY from SERIAL CONSOLE.

The kernel configurations must NOT include the AGP option because the
core_titan.c:titan_agp_info() code expects there to be two PA chips,
and when there is only one (as in DS15), a machine check will occur
at a time when it isn't easily handled.

This is a bug and will be fixed for the next versions.

The kernels must be run from/to SERIAL CONSOLE, because the PCI bus
with slots, where a graphics card would be installed, is NOT on
hose #0, and those kernels do NOT include code which can handle this
situation.

This is NOT a bug, as such; it is a kernel limitation that VGA devices
MUST live on a PCI bus on hose #0. This is primarily because of all
the legacy device addresses used throughout the kernel to refer to VGA
registers and memory. When the VGA is NOT on hose #0, those legacy
addresses will not respond.

The patches to accomplish this have, in the past, been deemed too
intrusive on non-Alpha-architecture files to be allowed into the
official sources.

Both of these problems do not occur with the kernels released as part
of the Red Hat 7.2 for Alpha distribution (including updates), so one
can choose to run one of them, or use the sources to port the
necessary fixes to the desired destination.

Sorry about the delay in getting this info out...

Good luck.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com