Re: Calling all testers: debian-installer images for sarge/alpha

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 01:21:42PM +0100, Peter Makholm wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> writes:

> > This image is still an SRM-only image.  There is no MILO support at all,
> > and AFAIK no work being done on it, either.  If anyone cares about being
> > able to install sarge on an AlphaBIOS-using system, now may be the time
> > to get involved in d-i development.

> Can anyone give a summary of what it would take to support AlphaBIOS?

Someone needs to come up with maintainable MILO images (which preferably
means something that we can build from source, since MILO is based on a
Linux kernel) and provide a way to integrate them into the debian-cd
build process.

> I have one of those alphas that is AlphaBIOS-only and most of the
> Alphas we're seeing at our local install parties seems to be
> AlphaBIOS-only. It would be nice if AlphaBIOS was supported.

Really?  According to the woody install manual
(http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/alpha/ch-rescue-boot.html), the
only three ARC-only system types are nautilus, ruffian, and xl -- these
really make up such a large portion of the alphas you see?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer