updating a packages from unstable version

Hi
I'd like to hold the stable but I need to install "maxima" that the maintener
told me is available only in the unstable distribution.
In order to check whether I have correctly understood the documentation
informations, I'd check the sequence of operations to upgrade
only the maxima package on my stable:

1) adding to the file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/70debconf the following line:

             APT::Default-Release "stable";

2) adding to the file /etc/apt/sources.list  the following URL where is the
maxima package
        deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contribn
on-free
        deb-src ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable non-US/main
non-US/contrib non-US/non-free

3)  now issuing ( if the package is available )
        apt-get -t unstable install maxima
otherwise
        apt-get build-dep maxima
        apt-get source --compile maxima
        dpkg -i maxima
Thanks in advance for the time you would give me.
Best regards
Roberto
--
Roberto Bernetti