Re: Kernel panic & qlogicisp module

On Tuesday 25 November 2003 19:11, Kelledin wrote:
> &scoring
>
> Ulrich Harttig said:
> > I have a problem with what I believe is the qlogicisp SCSI driver module.
> > Under certain conditions = when copying large files > 50 MB from sda to
> > sdb is in progress, the kernel panics:
>
> If you head over to http://www.feral.com/isp.html , you can get an
> alternative driver for QLogic ISP controllers.  It has the advantage of
> being a unified driver (it can drive pretty much the entire QLogic line of
> SCSI/FC-ALcontrollers), and it supports things like SCSI disconnect that
> the stock kernel drivers don't support.  I've used it briefly to drive an
> ISP1080 card, but not long enough to attest to its stability.

Thank you for your recommendation.

Only now I had the opportunity to test the system with the Feral driver.
However, my attempt failed miserably.
The driver was compiled as module under a 2.4.22 kernel and included into the
initrd image. On boot-up the driver appeared to load and recognize the disks
but the system hung subsequently with the error message
isp: NOT RESPONSE in RESPONSE QUEUE (type ...... which seems to be the error
messages for not responding ( notresp[] in isp.c )

Does anyone have an idea what the cause of that problem might be ?

Thanks
Ulrich

--
Dr. Ulrich Harttig