Re: New User Question

On Mon, 2004-12-20 07:43:09 -0500, jacheatwood@bellsouth.net <jacheatwood@bellsouth.net>
wrote in message <[🔎] 20041220124310.XCSO2051.imf22aec.mail.bellsouth.net@mail.bellsouth.net>:

> I have found, what seems to be, an old Alpha.  My goal is to use this machine to learn about linux/debian.
> I need help to identify what this machine is.
>
> Machine was built by NTSI to use as a Pro/e NT workstation.
> Processor ID is 21164 ver. 5.0
> Alpha Firmware is 4.48

>From this only, it's somewhat hard to guess what kind of machine it is.
Most probably, you'd just try to boot the install floppies or CD-Rom or
whatever and see if it just works.

Basically, Linux supports nearly all Alpha-based machines, except the
very old Turbochannel models (Alpha 3000 Model xxx) right now.

> Further Questions would be, is it possible for this machine to run Debian and not NT.

Most probably.

> Does the firmware need to be updated?

Most probably not.

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw@lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O