ext3 module loaded, but can't mount ext3? WAS - Re: any 2.6.x kernel for a DS10?

I double checked that the ext3 and jbd modules are loaded:
Hi

I have the 2.6.8-1-generic kernel up and running after
'apt-get install', but even though the ext3 and jbd modules
are loaded I am not allowed to mount an ext3 filesystem:

fchelp:~# lsmod | grep ext3
ext3 164836 1 jbd 76912 1 ext3
fchelp:~# mount /var
mount: fs type ext3 not supported by kernel
fchelp:~# mkdir /old_home
fchelp:~# mount -t ext3 /dev/sdd6 /old_home
mount: fs type ext3 not supported by kernel

Why would I not be allowed to mount an ext3 filesystem when
the modules are loaded?

--

Toni Harbaugh-Blackford                harbaugh@abcc.ncifcrf.gov
System Administrator