Re: Packages needing buildd on alpha

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 11:03:04PM +0200, Rafael Laboissiere wrote:
> * Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> [2004-08-03 13:35]:

> > Trying to build plplot on alpha here fails with the following error:
> >
> >   dh_movefiles -a --no-package=libplplot9 --no-package=libplplot-dev \
> >                   --no-package=plplot-bin
> >   dh_movefiles: debian/tmp/usr/share/octave/site/m/PLplot not found (supposed to put it in octave-plplot)
> >   dh_movefiles: debian/tmp/usr/lib/octave not found (supposed to put it in octave-plplot)
> >   make: *** [install-stamp] Error 1
> >
> > Any idea where this file that it's looking for might have gone? :)

> This looks like an old bug that I thought had been fixed.  The source of the
> problem used to come earlier in the build process, during configure. Could
> you please send the build log to me?

> Otherwise, can I have access to an alpha machine with the build-deps
> installed?

> > And yes, the alpha buildd problem is a known issue.  lully.d.o is down,
> > and escher isn't powerful enough to keep up with the present-day upload
> > rate.

> Oh, it is too bad, in particular because we have a release scheduled in the
> near future.  Will alpha be a supported architecture in sarge?

Okay, I've found time to take a closer look at this problem, and you're
right that it's related to configure.  Specifically, it's related to a
buggy and unusable octave:

$ octave --version
Illegal instruction
$ octave -q -f <<EOF
>         printf(octave_config_info("localfcnfilepath"));
> EOF
Illegal instruction
$

This results in files being installed to /usr instead of to
/usr/share/octave/site/m/.

Could this be related to an out-of-date lapack3 on alpha?

Regards,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer