Re: Debian Installer - Problems Partitioning

On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 07:35:44PM -0400, Jim and Kelly Younkin wrote:
> Is there anything more I can do to get the necessary information for
> someone to be able to diagnosis the problem and suggest a solution?

At a start, you might try running 'modprobe DAC960' from console #2, to
see if you get anything more useful out of it that way (instead of just
"Error loading 'DAC960'").

I've checked and the DAC960 module doesn't take any options, so I can't
propose anything in that regard.

Can you confirm which version of the d-i (sarge) boot images you're
using?  It may be worth trying an image with a different kernel than the
one you've used so far; i.e., if you're using 2.4.25 right now, try
2.4.26, or vice versa.

> Should I try RedHat, or another flavor of Linux that supports Alpha?

> If I cannot get some version of Linux running on my Alpha by Tuesday I
> will have to order an Intel box.  I have fallen way behind on this
> project.

If you have a pressing need to get this box booting, you may well want
to give Red Hat a try here, as I can't promise any quick fixes for what
seems to be a kernel problem on your hardware.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer