Re: Debian Installer - Problems Partitioning

On Mon, 31 May 2004, Jim and Kelly Younkin wrote:

> I believe I know how I want to partition my system but I do not know how
> to proceed.  The docs I read indicate that because I am booting from SRM
> I must use FDISK, but I do not know how to find or run this program.
> The Debian Installer does have an option to "Execute a Shell" which runs
> "ash" using an editor called "nano".  It explains that "the root file
> system is a RAM disk".  Also "the hard disk file systems are mounted on
> '/target'".  However, once there I do not know how to find or run FDISK.

After reinstalling after a disk failure, I think I see what you are running
into.  When you run fdisk, you'll have to run it in BSD mode for Alpha
systems.  You can enter BSD mode (if fdisk didn't do so automatically)
with "b" at the fdisk prompt.  The HOWTO should explain how to use
fdisk.  The difference I have found with BSD mode is you have to
explicitly tell where each partition starts and ends.  In DOS mode,
it'll sequentially start the next partition at the end of the previous
one.  Also for Alpha, leave the first sector blank for aboot.  That is,
start your first partition with sector 2.  If you don't use BSD disk
labels, aboot will not install.  IIRC, RedHat 7.2's installer took care of
a lot of this.
--
Jiann-Ming Su
"Yeah, Lois, that'll be about as much fun as a lecture on