Alpha Newbie sarge installation problems

Hi,

I got hold of an Alphastation 500 a few days ago and I'm trying to
install Sarge on it (I thought I could maybe help testing the
installer). While I'm quite at ease with Debian on intel machines, I'm a
total newbie when it comes to Alpha machines, SRM and the like, though
I've read the SRM howto. (I should probably read it a couple more times
to get things going).

I grabbed the 5 mb cdrom iso image from
/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-alpha/current/images/ tonight,
booted, and started the installation process.

First problem was during hardware detection: sr_mod.o was not found, and
I got an error message.

Then came the time to partition the disk. I wiped of the previous
partitions for which I had no use and got / and swap on the first disk,
and /home and /var on the second disk, using ext3 everywhere. I was not
able to configure LVM, but this may be because I don't know anything
about LVM, and didn't stop to read the documentation.

Installation went fine until I had to make my system bootable, which
failed, I was told, because aboot wanted an ext2 partition. This was
discussed mentionned on this list last january, so I won't insist.

I got back to the partitionning step, removed the / partition, inserted
a small 2MB partition formated as ext2, not mounted at the beginning of
the disk, put back / to fit the remaining space, and relaunched the
installation of the base system which failed twice.

The first failure was "dpkg: syntax error: unknown user 'root' in
statusoverride file", and was caused by exim4.

The second error because /target/usr/bin/awk was an existing symling
on mawk and ln is not called with the -f option.

I removed the statoverride file and the symlink and relaunched the
installation (twice) and finally got back to the installation of aboot
which failed again: the installer asked me on which partition the
bootloader should be installed, and proposed the only ext2 partition on
my machine, namely /dev/sda1, I sayed ok, and it failed because "bootcode
overlaps with partition #1. If you really want this, use -f1".

I read some doc, and issued manually "/target/sbin/swriteboot -f1
/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /target/boot/bootlx" and this
failed because "existing disk label is corrupt. Couldn't get a valid
disk label, exiting".

I tried using /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/disc and the command
ran. I rebooted the machine. I asked SRM to boot dkb0 and got the aboot
prompt, after a warning about "ext2_init: bad magic 0x1" and "aboot:
mount of partition 1 failed". Using "b 2/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2"
produces a "Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)" probably related to "VFS: Cannot open root device "sda2" or
unknown-block(0,0)"

If anyone can tell me how to get any further or point me to the
appropriate to documentation, I'll be very grateful.

Thanks in advance.

--
Alexandre Fayolle
http://alexandre.fayolle.free.fr/blog/