"Unaligned access" on Alpha

Lately I've been looking closely at the compile logs on my EV56
box, and I've noticed a particular gcc warning occurring
frequently:

    cast increases required alignment of target type.

This worries me almost as much as casts between integers and
pointers of different size, but...even with all the warnings, I
don't get too many crashes.  Still, I'm compelled to wonder
about the effect of unaligned accesses, i.e. how severe is an
unaligned access in user-space?  How about in kernel-space?  How
does the system handle them?

I have a pretty clear idea what it would take to fix that warning
condition, but it occurs so frequently that I'm not sure it
would be worth the time. :/

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"