Calling all testers: debian-installer images for sarge/alpha

I'm pleased to report that daily debian-installer images for sarge/alpha
are again available.  You can download both bootable businesscard and
netinst CD images from
<http://people.debian.org/~manty/testing/netinst/alpha/daily/>.

As of the 03-Jan-2004 build, there are several known problems with the
images, as detailed at
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/debian-boot-200401/msg00198.html>.
Today's build should clear up two of these problems, first so that aboot
can boot the kernel without twiddling the kernel options, and second so
that the installer language defaults can be pulled in from the SRM
environment.  This fixed image should be available for download some
time after midnight UTC.

I think we have a good shot at getting alpha included in the second
debian-installer beta, but we'll need to see some successful install
reports over the next week or so for it to even be considered.
Unfortunately, my own attempt at installing failed, but it may be a
hardware-specific failure; so if anybody is able to install a complete
system from this image, please let the debian-boot list know.

This image is still an SRM-only image.  There is no MILO support at all,
and AFAIK no work being done on it, either.  If anyone cares about being
able to install sarge on an AlphaBIOS-using system, now may be the time
to get involved in d-i development.

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek