Re: CCC/CXX installation

OK, I grabbed the latest rpms, and have a key.
I noticed that the cxx rpm's version number is higher than the one in the .deb,
so decied to not try installing cxx, and just restrict myself to ccc.

However, when it comes to me and ccc, it was the same old same old:
<<<
Setting up ccc (6.5.9.001-1) ...
Error: gcc -V 2.95.4 failed to compile and link "int main(int argc, char
**argv) {return 0;}".
       The ccc installation expects a working installation of GCC.
gcc: `-V' must come at the start of the command line
Aborting

If you can correct the problem, you can rerun this script manually
by entering a command in the following format:

    create-comp-config.sh ccc-version [gcc-path]

The current invocation of create-comp-config.sh was:

/usr/lib/compaq/ccc-6.5.9.001-6/alpha-linux/bin/create-comp-config.sh
ccc-6.5.9.001-6 /usr/lib/gcc-lib/alpha-linux/2.95.4
dpkg: error processing ccc (--configure):

Now, sure,
<<<
phil@megaspaz:rpm$ gcc -V 2.95.4
gcc: couldn't run `alpha-linux-gcc-2.95.4': No such file or directory

seems to fail, but why can _I_ quite happily run 2.95.4 if there's a problem
with it?
<<<
phil@megaspaz:rpm$ gcc-2.95 -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/alpha-linux/2.95.4/specs
gcc version 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)
phil@megaspaz:rpm$ gcc-2.95 -E -
# 1 ""

I even had a peek to see what alpha-linux-gcc-2.95.4 was likely to be, and
created what appeared to be the missing symbolic link:
<<<
phil@megaspaz:bin$ sudo ln -s gcc-2.95 alpha-linux-gcc-2.95.4

However, I still got exactly the same error as above.

I'm very confused. Maybe I should just go into hibernation for 6 months and try
it again in spring, like I did last year.

Phil

=====
When inserting a CD, hold down shift to stop the AutoRun feature
In the Device Manager, disable the SbcpHid device.
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~jhalderm/cd3/