Re: PCI Video Card?

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 03:32:09PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to upgrade the video on my PC164LX system from its current
> Diamond FireGL 1000 Pro card to something better.  I care nothing about
> 3D performace, but want something that is blazingly fast in 2D mode.  My
> system has no AGP slots, so it's PCI only for me.
>
> Anybody have any suggestions?

Radeons of various flavors are quite quick WRT 2D operations, but be
careful, as there have been reports of problems with the BIOS on some
non-ATI branded cards.

Matrox Millennia G200/G400/G450 are known to work pretty well, IIRC.

3DLabs VX1 is a reasonable 2D performer.

nVidia cards are also reasonable, but again, be careful as there
have been problems with BIOS emulation on some.

Good luck.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com