From: Andrew Maier [mailto:andrew@maier.name]
Sent: Wednesday, 5 November 2003 9:49 AM
To: debian-alpha@lists.debian.org
Subject: boot time order of scsi disks

Hi everybody,

assumming one has two scsi cards, is there a way of specifying in which
order the cards are recoginzed during boot time?

The problem I just hooked up a disk to my (up to now) unused Adaptec
7871 card. My boot disk are connected to the built-in qlogic card of my
PWS-500au. Much to my horror I have disovered that the adaptec cards is
recogised first, thus the disk connected becomes /dev/sda, wheres my
internal boot disk (which was /dev/sda) becomes /dev/sdb.

Since the new disk is external, I may or may not decide to power them
up (don't ask, its essentially a noise problem), so I don't want to go
through the process of having to rename /etc/fstab, etc.

What are my options? (BTW currently both scsi drivers are compiled into
the kernel).

Thanks in advance,

	Andrew

---