Re: return to testing - or stable?

Hello,

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 14:39, Peter Watkinson wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've sort of screwed up one my installs on unstable so now neither KDE or
> Gnome desktops work is there a fairly straightforward way I can return the
> system to either Testing or stable using apt-get without having to do a full
> re-install?

I'm finding on ARM that when GNOME goes through a major transition (e.g.
2.2-2.4 as now), the buildds sometimes attempt to build stuff in the
wrong order, so just getting the source and building it fixes the
problem.

apt-get source nautilus
cd nautilus-[version]
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -B -uc

Then when it complains about missing build-depends, you install those;
if the right packages/versions aren't available, you build those from
source, etc.  And if it doesn't build after all that, you file a bug.

Of course, this does take time...

(Oh - and yes, GNOME 2.4 runs quite nicely on a 200 MHz StrongARM. :-)
--
-Adam P.

http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg