Relevant Config Files

I'll send you a copy of all my relevant config files seperately (so as to not
bog down the list here).

Get a stock copy of 2.4.21 by downloading it from kernel.org.  Untar it into a
directory.  Copy the config-2.4.21 file to .config in the resulting directory.
My config file doesn't have ext3 (or a lot of other stuff) enabled.  If you
want to enable more options, run make menuconfig and turn them on (don't turn
on any more of the IDE stuff though).

Do a "make vmlinux.gz", a "make modules", and a "make modules_install".  Find
the resulting vmlinux.gz and System.map files ("find . -iname 'vmlinuz.gz'")
and copy them to some location on an ext2 drive (/boot is the norm, and that is
what I have my 20MB ext2 boot partition mounted as) as vmlinuz-2.4.21 and
System.map-2.4.21 respectively.

Under SRM, a secondary bootloader (aboot) is typically used to load the
kernel.  Most likely this is already installed on your harddisk.  If not, it is
in a file called bootlx (the source for it is included in the kernel under
arch/alpha/boot, but just use the precompiled copy located in /boot), and
swriteboot will write it to the start of the hard disk
("swriteboot /dev/sda /boot/bootlx" -- that is why you needed to leave the
first 512 sectors free).

Aboot needs to know where the ext2 partition containing /etc/aboot.conf and
kernel images is.  To tell it this, run "abootconf /dev/sda 1" (assuming
your /etc/aboot.conf is on parition one).  If you are doing the ReiserFS thing,
you will need to make an /etc directory on your 20MB ext2 boot partition and
copy /etc/aboot.conf into it (I personally moved it and then created
an /etc/aboot.conf simlink to /boot/etc/aboot.conf to avoid future confusion).

Finally edit aboot.conf to specify the kernel to use, "0:1/vmlinuz-2.4.21 ro
root=/dev/sda2" or such (the file is /vmlinux-2.4.21 in my case because it is
relative to the parition's mount point).  You'll want to leave in a line to
boot up to old kernel, "1:1/vmlinuz-2.2.20-generic ro root=/dev/sda2", as
well.  Use "boot <dev> -fl=[0-1]" at the SRM prompt to specify the kernel.

-T

PS#1:  I also understand there is a "Debian" way to build custom kernels.