Re: sarge install

On Oct 12, Goswin von Brederlow (brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de) wrote:
 > Joakim Roubert <jokke@df.lth.se> writes:
 >
 > > On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Neil Roeth wrote:
 > >
 > > > VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
 > > > Mounted devfs on /dev
 > > > VFS: Cannot open root device "rd/0" or 00:00
 > > > Please append a correct "root=" boot option
 > > > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:00
 > > >
 > > >        ### and it hung.
 > >
 > > I've seen stuff like this when I did not include the correct hard disk
 > > controller driver. Are you sure you did that, and with the right
 > > parameters?
 >
 > Did you see anything about the ramdisk being loaded or unpacked?
 >
 > MfG
 >         Goswin

I saw these:

RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 16384k size 1024k blocksize
.
.
.
Freeing initrd memory: 2249k freed
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Mounted devfs on /dev
VFS: Cannot open root device "rd/0" or 00:00

I don't see any explicit messages about uncompressing the RAM disk.  There was
nothing else after the "RAMDISK driver initialized" message about RAMDISK or
initrd, though if there is anything relevant before the "RAMDISK driver
initialized" message, I missed it because it scrolled off the screen.  Since
it paniced and hung, I could not scroll back.  If there is something critical
before that, I could try the install with the console set to the serial port,
access the serial port via minicom on another machine, and log everything that
way.

Is it normal to see the message about freeing initrd memory before attempting
to mount something on the RAM disk?

--
Neil Roeth