Re: pci cards supported by SRM?

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 09:29:59PM +0200, Frederik Schueler wrote:

> I am currently setting up a pws600au as my new unstable based
> development workstation.
>
> I wanted to install a soundblaster live!, but the kernel says
>
> Oct  8 12:56:15 miata kernel: pci_map_single: no HW sg
> Oct  8 12:56:15 miata kernel: emu10k1: cannot initialize device

The core logic (PYXIS) on MIATA has bugs, and one of them is DMA
crossing page boundaries when using the scatter/gather hardware.

The kernel MIATA code tries to avoid that by not using the hardware
scatter/gather, and most drivers (SCSI/NIC/etc) appear able to work
with that limitation.

Unfortunately, it appears that the EMU10K1 driver (currently) does not.
Could it? Dunno, one would have to look at the code...

> the second card which makes really trouble is an intel 64bit PCI gigabit
> card: SRM simply said "remove illegal device from PCI slot 5 an
> reboot". what are the 64bit slots for if I cannot use such a card in it?
> Or is it a 5v vs 3.3v issue or 33MHz vs 66MHz? My nic is 64/66 afaik.

No, the problem is that the SRM console has a (small) table of known
devices whose (VMS/Tru64) drivers can be trusted to not tickle the
DMA bug, and your device is NOT in that table.

However, a workaround does exist:

	>>> set pci_device_override -1

will allow ANY PCI card to appear in the 64-bit slots.

Note that I said "appear" and not "work"... ;-}

In practice,m a lot of cards work just fine in the 64-bit slots, but
you could run into problems. Just so you know...

> Does anyone know about a list of SRM supported devices (google didn't)
> which is NOT http://www.alphalinux.org/ALOHcl/ ?

That's the only one I've heard of.

Good luck.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com