sarge install

I created a CD-ROM using jigdo of CD#1 of sarge for alpha, and tried to do an
install on my XP1000.  The machine currently runs woody just fine.  It results
in a kernel panic; perhaps someone can help me figure out why.  Below is what
I did.

>>> boot dqa
	### It went into aboot here
aboot> l
0: boot/cdrom-linux ramdisk_size=16384 initrd=/boot/cdrom-initrd.gz \
   root=/dev/rd/0 devfs=mount,dall
	### other choices for serial consoles followed
aboot> 0
	### It loaded the kernal and started booting
.
.
.
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Mounted devfs on /dev
VFS: Cannot open root device "rd/0" or 00:00

       ### and it hung.

--
Neil Roeth