Alpha Server 1200 and 2.4.x

Hello,

I have two Alpha Server 1200 boxes that have been upgraded :-) to run Debian
stable. However, I don't seem to be able to make them run the latest 2.4 kernel,
which looks to be 2.4.18-1. During install of the kernel-image deb there are
complaints about unresolved symbols, and if I run depmod -a <kernel version> -F
<System.map location> manually it throws up a lot of the same again. The
machines refuse to boot if I try to use that kernel (no surprise). The boxes run
2.2.22 just fine. I have no experience with Alpha, and know next to nothing
about them. COuld it be that this system is not supported by 2.4 kernels?

Any thoughts welcome.

--
Ragnar Wisløff