Re: Problems getting X running correctly

Hello,
On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 05:17:05PM -0400, Jean-Sébastien Guay wrote:
> 1. The GNOME settings daemon informs me that it can't start with the
> following message:

<snip>

> 2. GNOME tries to start its sound support, but I have no sound card, so
> it complains. I have disabled the "Enable Sound Daemon Startup" in the
> GNOME configurator, but it still gives me a "Could not open /dev/mixer"
> message when I start X. How can I disable this completely?

<snip>

> 3. When I try to start GNOME Terminal, I get the message "Failed to
> execute child process 'NO_XALF' (no such file or directory)". When I go
> into the icon's properties, the command is "NO_XALF
> gnome-terminal --use-factory --start-factory-server". If I remove the
> "NO_XALF" part, it starts up just fine. So what is this "NO_XALF"?

<snip>

They are all GNOME-related. Try asking in more general or in
gnome-related lists.

> 4. Every window that opens comes up in the top-left corner of the
> screen, with its menu bar over the title bar (so I can't move it). This
> is very annoying.

No window manager. Go to the gnome control center and enter one
(wmaker, fvwm2, ..)

> 5. Each time a window opens, the computer beeps once. When a window is
> closed, it beeps again. This is also very annoying.

No idea about this on.e

> These are all problems I never had before on x86, so I have no idea
> where to start to try and fix them. In fact, the Mystique comes from a
> Red Hat x86 system where it worked perfectly. The Debian install is
> fresh, done yesterday.
>
> Below is the output of startx, and my XF86Config-4 file. Hopefully these
> will help in finding out what the problems are...

They are all not X related. Unfortunately the only way I know to teach
gnome the window manager is by running the control center.

Greetings

         Helge
--
Helge Kreutzmann, Dipl.-Phys.               Helge.Kreutzmann@itp.uni-hannover.de