Re: ata-100/133 cards on lx164?

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 11:21:56PM -0400, Tom Vier wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 11:45:55AM -0700, Gregory P. Smith wrote:
> > How well is this controller working for you?
>
> not very. i switched to the silicon image card i first got.
>
> > I just put a PDC20268 controller in my lx164 that came with a WD 160gb
> > 7200rpm 8mb cache hard drive.
>
> i have a maxtor 80gig.
>
> >   hde: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> >   hde: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
>
> i get exactly the same thing. i'm also running 2.4.21.

I went and bought a Silicon Image based card today.  the Promise PDC20268
card worked with the drive flawlessly in my x86 PC but gave reasonably
frequent BadCRC errors with this UDMA-100 drive in my alpha regardless
of the cables i used, etc.

The Silicon Image card is burning in as I speak with much better (not
perfect) results.  So far its only had one BadCRC error after an hour
of testing (rather than once every couple minutes) using the default
"udma4" setting (according to hdparm -i).

At this point my hypothesis that its a noise issue related to the lx164
motherboard or power.  If it persists I'll try forcing udma66 using
hdparm -X 67 to see if that helps.  That would drop the max read thruput
from 41mb/sec to 31mb/sec according to hdparm -t but if i need to i'll
gladly pay that for reliability.

Its disappointing that the free card included with the drive doesn't
work in the alpha, but given that it was on sale after rebates for $90
and i didn't even know that it came with a controller when i bought it
i shouldn't complain.  :)