Failure report: PowerColor Radeon 7500 PCI 64mb

On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 05:29:24PM -0500, Kelledin wrote:
> I finally snagged a used Radeon 7500 off of eBay a week ago, and
> it arrived today:
> No brand ID on the board, so might be PowerColor or some other
> brand.  Looks like the regular ATI reference boards, except that
> there's just the 15-pin DSUB output coming straight off the PCB.
> Most 7500's have DVI and TV coming off the PCB, and VGA coming
> off a ribbon cable.

I bought a Radeon 7500 PCI from knowledgemicro.com.  It came in a retail
box with PowerColor branding.  It is the version with both DVI and HD15
connectors.

short story:  it doesn't work in my 164LX.

With AlphaBIOS 5.70 it would allow the bios to run, but MILO 2.2-19 would
lock up on it.  I expected this based on other reports.

So... I upgraded my system to SRM 5.8, repartitioned my disks using
disklabel, installed aboot, setup devfs and LVM, removed the old noisy
SCSI boot disk, etc.  (a bunch of much needed maintenance).

When I put this card in, SRM's bios emulation locks up after displaying
the card bios's one cryptic line of numerical model/serial number goo.
I guess its time for me to review the list archives to see what exact
brand people report that -does- work.

-g