Re: Looking for some help with Alpha Linux

On Sunday 22 June 2003 03:55 pm, bob smith wrote:
> I am looking for some advise or hints if you guys are willing
> to advise. I have not been able to piece together all the bits
> I need to determine what version and pieces I should run to
> do:
>
> 1) Desktop box that will allow me to do surfing, docs that are
> compatible with word (rtf is fine), some gimp stuff, some
> audio ripping and conversion.  I have a couple of 250/4 266
> boxes I want to do this with. I keep looking at KDE and gnome
> for this.

No problem here--RTF is universally compatible, and even
command-line tools like docbook-utils can create RTF files.
Gimp runs OK on Alpha (as much as I've run it), and so does KDE.
Don't know about gnome and audio ripping/encoding.

> 2) web server wtih php/mysql, webmail.  I have a 164LX box I
> want to use to do this. but I could use a 3000 box I have -
> that would be my choice, cause I want to...

Again, not too much problem.  Apache and MySQL both run just fine
on Alpha.  PHP 4.3.2 runs fine too; earlier versions also do
fine if you just build them without the pear components.  I
don't know too much about webmail, but I suspect SquirrelMail is
also pretty platform-agnostic.

> 3) put together a beowulf or beowulf-like cluster using 5
> 164LX boxes and 2 DS10 boxes.

Beowulf might be the thing to use here.  From what I've heard,
OpenMOSIX isn't quite alpha-ready yet.  I could be wrong about
that tho.

> 4) Server for compiling and kernel building, app building, I
> havea 164lx/600 with a gig and lots of disk for this.

Ditto here--164LX/600MHz with...well, 512MB.  But 512MB is
generally enough if all you're doing is compile jobs on a
uniprocessor box.

> I have most of my machines running netbsd now, but I am not
> able to get KDE to really build right even on some of the vga
> cards that are supposed to be supported.

Recent XFree86+Radeon 7500 PCI works pretty well on Linux-Alpha.
You even get some decent 3D acceleration.

> I would like to have all the boxes or most of the boxes running
> the same os, and am willing to convert to linux if I can get
> the right one that supports Alpha. Debian has been solid for a
> good while on one of my boxes.  I just got a new to me machine,
> dual cpu 1000 running redhat.  The gnome and kde stuff run fine
> on this box.

Between Debian and RedHat, I personally would choose Debian.
Debian is pretty committed to keeping their Alpha branch pretty
well in sync with their x86 branch, unlike RedHat and SuSE.
RedHat/SuSE are pretty much just turning the Linux-Alpha project
over to those employees who want to work on it in their free
time, and saying "here, go nuts if you want."

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"