Re: srm nightmare, milo & kernel future questions

On 2003.06.15 22:34, Chris Hecker wrote:
If I just run apt-get --simulate install gcc-3.2 I still get a ton of dependencies (below), including the scary REMOVE on the 2.4.18 kernel that I happen to be running!

This is the proper way to proceed. You only want a bare minimum of packages, and dselect thinks you want the whole distribution.

* Try using 'testing' instead of 'unstable' in your sources.list
* Try adding packages it wants to remove, but you want to keep (like your kernel), to the 'apt-get install' line; it will either pull some additional packages or tell you why you have conflicts.

-Doug