Re: srm nightmare, milo & kernel future questions

On 2003.06.15 03:49, Chris Hecker wrote:
Yeah, I searched and found that right after posting, thanks. But, from reading about it on various list archives, it seems unclear whether you can just install 3.2 out of unstable without it replacing 2.95.

Yes, you can install them side by side. The default compiler (invoked with 'cc', 'gcc', etc.) will remain 2.95 until you upgrade to version of package gcc-default that changes it. You invoke 3.2 with 'gcc-3.2'; you will need to arrange for your kernel compilation to use this compiler (perhaps as simple as 'export CC="gcc-3.2"'). I haven't done this in a while. Even after you transition, you can keep 2.9.5 around using a similar mechanism.

BTW, the gcc 3.x ABI transition does not affect straight C code (like the kernel) at all. That part of the calling standard has not changed. What's affected is any C++ libraries. It's name mangling that changed. By all accounts the gcc transition is majorly good news for Alpha, due to (a) fixed code generation bugs and (b) overall better code quality for RISC.

-Doug