xp1000 problems with upgrade to 2.4.18-generic

Hello group,

I was able to get woody running on my xp1000. It was pretty painless, actually. I have been used to RedHat and Suse on intel, so this is my first exposure to Debian and SRM/Alpha. The installation went pretty well except for X, more about that later. I used APT to upgrade to the 2.4.18-generic kernel and now the modules do not automagically load. This means I do not get the network anymore. I have plunked around and cannot seem to find this. I have done an 'insmod de4x5.o' and still cannot get it to initialize the card. Any ideas or hints to get it back on the lan.

X. Now, I am confused. with 2.2.x, would boot, it would try to load XDM and fail (switching of screens, etc.) Then i got a blue screen asking if I wanted to configure X. It would actually then give me an X window and I was able to even get KDE running. Great. Now, when I tried to log out, it hung and when I tried to get back into X, it did the same thing. I think it has something to do with the config tool and I have not figured it out yet. I want xfree 4.x. Which configurator is the one for 4.x? Any other pointers welcome.

KeithG