No more console login

Hi all,

a few days ago I did a fresh install of my PWS 500a with unstable.
I don't know when, but during that I lost the ability to login on my ttys.
When I type the username (or root) at the login: prompt all I get is a new
login: prompt after 1 or two seconds.
I can login using kdm or ssh though.

Another strange thing: I can't see anything in the logs, it is just like my
login attempts just don't happen.

Another thing I should mention: I switched back from samba/unstable
(2.999/3.0) to samba/stable because of authorization problems with the new
samba (couldn't add new users).

Anyone any idea?

These are the installed packages related to this:

ii  libpam-modules 0.76-9         Pluggable Authentication Modules for PAM
ii  libpam-runtime 0.76-9         Runtime support for the PAM library
ii  libpam0g       0.76-9         Pluggable Authentication Modules library
ii  login          4.0.3-8        System login tools

TIA a lot in advance,

Jan Lentfer