problems installing woody on digital server 7305

When I tried to install to the DAC960 Mylex Raid array the installation hung
with the message "unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address
0000000000000010 swapper(1) Oops 0"

(actually there is more to it than that -lots of hex- but it would take me
all day to type it)

SO.  I disconnected the raid, bought a custom cable and connected a SCSI
hard drive on the same bus as the CD-ROM drive.

The installation problem went away, and I managed to install a bootable
Debian 3 "Woody" onto the drive (problems with X, but never mind).

I couldn't get at the RAID array with RedHat because it won't recognise the
drives attached to DAC960.

(I tried using another PCI SCSI controller as well, without success, by the
way)

I intended to attempt an installation, or at least to BSD format the RAID
disks from the bootable Woody drive, but now that I have re-attached the
DAC960 to the PCI backplane I get the same message as before when I try to
boot the Woody installed SCSI disk!

Has anyone on the list got any suggestions as to what is causing this
problem?

Thank,

Simon