Re: best way for dhcp

On Thu 30 Jan 2003, Joakim Roubert wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Paul Slootman wrote:
>
> > Why did you replace pump by dhcp-client, if pump works?
>
> Pump only works manuallyt right now, that is, nothing is being done
> automagically.
>
> > I have the same interfaces stanza at work, and use pump. ifup manages to
> > find out that it has to use pump all on its own, AFAICT :-)
>
> !!
> I want to have it that way too! How do your config files for this look?

In /etc/network/interfaces:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
        hostname pcpaul

Note that the "hostname" thing isn't even used by the DHCP server on the
network, so I have no idea if it actually does anything :-)
That's basically all; ifup knows about the different DHCP clients and
tries them in turn until it finds one that works.

I have another system (an alpha, actually) hanging off a cable internet
connection, on which I have the same sort of stanza, but on that system
I use dhclient (from dhcp-client). All I have there in the
/etc/dhclient.conf is:

interface "eth1" {
        send host-name "co63281-a";
}