Re: EB164 SRM Problems - Followup

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 11:04:37AM +0100, S.D. Pais wrote:

> now that this problem is solved (and quitte fast indeed, thanks!) I did
> notice another strange difference between SRM and ARC booting (using
> 2.4.20). When I'm running linux with SRM, I keep getting a number of
> correctable ecc errors when for instance compiling large programs or copying
> large files to the alpha. Now when running ARC, I don't get any alike
> errors.. Does ARC init my RAM differently too then? (I have 8 32Mb banks,
> only 2 of them are different one's running 60ns iso 70ns... It is placed in
> 70/70 70/70 70/60 70/60 in banks 1/2 3/4 5/6 7/8) I placed it like this,
> since I'ld expect it to have the 60ns modules running on 70ns like this
> too... But does the ARC linux just don't get these messages through, or
> doesn't it register them, or are they indeed not triggered under ARC?

The PALcode in use under NT is known to ignore ECC errors, IIRC.

The PALcode Linux uses when run under MILO (also known as EBSDK
PALcode, which is not NT PALcode) is known to be less "complete" that
that used under SRM (known as OSF PALcode). One of those areas in
which it is incomplete is (obviously) ECC detection and reporting.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com