Re: CD Burners on an Alpha

On Monday 13 January 2003 11:47 pm, CiAsA S'Nuey Boark wrote:
> This is a followup to my last message.  After a bit of pain I
> have managed to get the ide cdwriter installed and almost
> running.  Modules are loaded fine, and cdrecord --scanbus
> shows hdb as a scsi device.  Everything appears like it should
> be working fine but I'm getting the following error when
> trying to use cdrecord (either within xcdroast or just using
> the command line):
>
> ------------------
> Calling: /usr/lib/xcdroast-0.98/bin/xcdrwrap CDRECORD dev=
> "1,0,0" fs=4096k driveropts=burnfree -v -useinfo speed=20
> -eject -multi -pad -data
> "/pub/store/general/BeOS5PEMaxEditionV21.img" ...
>
> pregap1: -1
> cdrecord: Invalid argument. shmget failed
> ------------------
>
> The error is of course a bit different doing cdrecord from the
> command line, but its basically the same.  Doing a quick
> search on google shows that shmget is a standard function (C i
> guess), but I have no idea what package it is in. Im assuming
> that since its a standard library it _should_ already be
> installed, but I don't know.  Does anyone here know of a
> solution to this problem?  Am I missing any obvious packages?
> I do have shm.h in various include dirs.

What kernel version are you running, and what kernel version was
cdrecord compiled against?  I ask because cdrecord/cdrtools is
one of the things that ends up closely tied to the kernel
version it's compiled against.  For this reason, it's generally
best to compile cdrtools yourself.

FYI, the shmget() function is part of glibc, and I believe it
turns around and calls the kernel's sys_shmget() function.  It's
part of the function suite used for managing shared memory.
"man shmget" might tell you more.

What is your exact version of cdrecord and xcdroast
(xcdroast-0.98 could be any one of thirteen "0.98alphaXX"
versions)?  I tested cdrtools 1.10 with xcdroast-0.98alpha9,
both compiled against kernel 2.4.18.

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"