Re: Kernel 2.6 on alpha

Thus spake Bob McElrath:
> Has anyone got kernel 2.6.0 running on an alpha yet?

I've got 2.6.0-test11 running on my 2100 (I should get around to
compiling 2.6.0 later tonight).

> Gotcha's/bugs/advice?

Make sure you don't enable CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO :)
There appears to be some sort of bug which if you enable that option
(and compile the kernel and modules with -g as a result), modules will
fail to load, because something (the module loader?) is not properly
ignoring the debug sections, which contain the R_ALPHA_REFLONG relocation,
which isn't handled.

> It seems the BusLogic driver is behind the curve and gives me an oops on
> bootup on my LX164.  Something about new SCSI debug code.

Hrm.  I haven't had any problems with my DAC960.  The SCSI layer
complains to me about the qlogicisp driver not having proper error
handling however, but things still work after that message.  Haven't had
any oopses or the ilk.

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick@conwaycorp.net>

A news sense is really a sense of what is important, what is vital,
what has color and life-what people are interested in. That's
journalism. - Burton Rascoe