Re: new kernel on DS20

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 11:56:49PM -0200, Robson Francisco de Souza wrote:

> "Cropping memory"???? Why does this happens? I found some references
> about people not being able to use all memory on Alpha systems larger
> than 2Gb but all messages were older than 01/2000 and below kernel
> version 2.2.15. I was also unable to find any configuration option for
> the kernel which could change such behaviour.

Kernel 2.2.x did not support more than 2GB of memory because the hardware
scatter/gather code used to support more than 2GB was never ported to it.
For that, you have to go to the 2.4 kernels.

> How can I force 2.2 kernels to see all the memory the server has?

You can't.

> Should I be using 2.4 kernels only?

Yes.

> If so, why do my compilations work but the 2.4 kernels do not work? They
> end up in a "Kernel panic" message...

This (failure to build a working SMP kernel) is a long-known problem
with GCC 2.95.x; you must migrate to a later (3.x) version of GCC.

Good luck.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com