Nothing like meaningful comments in samba config files...

My alpha's init.d/samba has, amongst other things:
<<<
        start)
                echo -n "Starting Samba daemons:"

                echo -n " nmbd"
                start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/sbin/nmbd -- -D

                if [ "$RUN_MODE" != "inetd" ]; then
                        echo -n " smbd"
                        start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /usr/sbin/smbd -- -D
                fi

Which kinda contradicts /etc/default/samba's comment:
<<<
# How should Samba (nmbd and smbd) run? Possible values are "daemons"
#       or "inetd".
RUN_MODE="inetd"

I notice that one of my x86 machines uses the RUN_MODE exactly as the comment
says, i.e. to govern the behaviour of _both_ nmbd and smbd.

Why is the RUN_MODE beign ignored for nmbd? At least the comment in the
default/samba file should be changed to reflect the new somewhat inexplicable
behaviour.

Phil

=====
Given that Dubya has control of a such vast arsenal, I'm sure
the most pressing issue on his mind is :

Which bombs would Jesus drop?     (-- "mm")