Debian Alpha network install -- devices not created

I've been trying to upgrade from RH 7.1 to a more recent distribution
that supports alpha, so I've been trying a Debian
alpha chroot network install.

I ran into a problem running the "base-config" script where it
would just say "Terminated" and do nothing else. Turns out script
was complaining because none of the pty devices were created. I also
was missing ide devices. After I just ran MAKEDEV for pty and ide
things seem to be proceeding ok.

Is there some extra step I missed? I was following the docs
under the section,  "3.7 Installing Debian GNU/Linux from a Unix/Linux
System".

Allen