Re: Raid-5 Problem

Dear Ryan

The same happens with RAID1 and maybe RAID0 Software RAIDs (unable to
handle kernel paging request) when using or syncing them. Apperently
Craig Small did some testing in June 2002 and it used to be the same. I
heard from the redhat-axp list, that on RedHat 7.2 RAID1 is running
well:
"I am still on 2.4.9-32.5, and I've been running RAID1 for 2 years on it
with no problems." (Chu, E. Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:32:17 -0700 (PDT)) Is it
the debian patches to the kernel, which cause kernel panic? Has someone
a well running Software-RAID under an "original" kernel?

There is a patch from Scott Bailey around, which should fix the problem
with RAID1: See the kernel mailinglist "PATCH: raid1 on alpha" (S. Bailey Thu,
13 Mar 2003 23:31:02 -0500) e.g. http://www.spinics.net/lists/raid/msg02526.html
I haven't patched my kernel yet, so I can't tell, if it helps. I will
give it a try. But anyway, this doesn't help for your RAID5 problem...
Did someone on the list use this patch successfully? (BTW: How do I
apply a patch like this? It is a patch for 2.4.20, does this work with
2.4.21, too? Do I have to change the header line only, if the code of
raid1.c is still the same?  ...)

> I've tried changing back to the 2.4.20 kernel and had the same
> results. I've tried compiling the source for 2.4.21 and 2.4.22 pre7
> and neither will compile due to errors involving xor.c:
> I'm using the following gcc:
>
> nostromo:/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.21# gcc -v
> Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/alpha-linux/3.3.1/specs
> Configured with: ../src/configure -v --enable-languages=c,c++,java,f77,pascal,objc,ada,treelang --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/3.3 --enable-shared --with-system-zlib --enable-nls --without-included-gettext --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-debug --enable-java-gc=boehm --enable-java-awt=xlib --enable-objc-gc alpha-linux
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 3.3.1 20030626 (Debian prerelease)

Use gcc-3.2 to compile kernel 2.4.21 instead, which works. It tells
something of a multi literal string (or something like that) in xor.h,
which is deprecated in gcc-3.2 (thus a warning) and no more supported in
gcc-3.3 (leads to stop compiling). (Is this a bug of the kernel-source
to be reported?)

I had the same idea as you and tried the Software-RAID with different
Kernel versions. But neither 2.4.18, 2.4.20 nor 2.4.21 fix the problem.
At least I get the impression on 2.4.21 it works best. This means the
machine was able to complete a sync operation, if just one md-device
did it. When I did something else in parallel, e. g. under X, sometimes
the computer got blocked for a few seconds and continued afterwards
normally (it is a 7305 with 4 processors and 4GB of memory, the hardware
might not be the reason). I can imagine, if more md-devices are syncing
simultaniousely, a timing problem can occur during such "pauses". (Sorry,
it's just my phantasy, I do not understand Linux very well!)

> On the axp-list, someone else posted with a similar question and was
> tersely told to get a new version of the HP/Compaq/DEC ftp server. Of
"Someone" was me...
> course.. no link was included. If you know of a patched version of the
> kernel source, or a patch that I can apply to fix the compile errors,
> please let me know.
..and like you, I couldn't find the mentionned kernel-source.

Greetings, Adrian.