Re: AW: installing kernel-image

> A "boot drb0 -flags 1" (which points to my 2.2.20 kernel) doesn't work
> correct, since aboot tells me it doesn't know what to do with the first
> partition (swap)
>
> fortunately, I could get up again with "p 2" (pointing to partition 2) and
> "1" (using aboot config 1) in aboot.
>
> Seems I really have to compile that kernel ;)

Sounds like you must have installed a new copy of aboot at some time on the
front of your drive (i.e. did a 'swriteboot /dec/sda bootlx' -- bootlx is
built with the Alpha kernel and contains the aboot image).

If you were doing repartitioning, etc, make sure you left space at the front
of the drive for aboot (the swriteboot man page advises you leave 512
sectors).  Otherwise there will be problems once Linux starts using that swap
partition.  :)

In any event, the problem is that your newly installed aboot is configured by
default to look for your /etc/aboot.conf file on the first partition.  Use
'abootconf /dev/sda 2' to change that to the second partition.

You will have to change the /dev/sda bit to your correct boot device.

-T

--
 Tyson Whitehead  (-twhitehe@uwo.ca -- WSC-)
 Computer Engineer                          Dept. of Applied Mathematics,