installing kernel-image

Hi,

I'm first trying again the kernel-image of 2.4.21.
I did a apt-get for the kernel-image, and got told to configure my
bootloader.
It already happened to me when trying to install a kernel-image, that the
machine wouldn't come up again (I have no root I want to scream).
So before rebooting I want to be sure to have everything correct ;)

What I find a bit confusing, is that I now have a link  /initrd.img that
points to a initrd in /boot. So far so good, but I can't find any reference
to that initrd.img elsewhere. I think at boot time the bootloader needs to
know what initrd to load? My /etc/abbot.conf just looks like this:

0:2/vmlinuz ro root=/dev/rd/c0d0p2

is that enough? On my last install try I think my problem was that
initrd.img was not loaded...

Lars