Re: Hardware question: AS1200, SRM, LSI 53c1010

On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 06:20:19PM -0400, Peter Petrakis wrote:

> > OBTW, the builtin shelf in the AS1200 will only support to ULTRA SCSI
> > speed, ie 40MB/s, so a 1010 would be underutilized (:-) on the internal
> > storage, as is even the 895/896...
>
> Well... You could replace the backplane with one of those from a
> DS20. Though you'd have to upgrade/replace your SBB's as well to
> take advantage of U2W~. Just a thought.

You may be thinking of the storage backplane in the DS20E, Pete.

Docs I looked at referred to the backplane in the DS20 as the same as
that in the AS1200, and go to ULTRA but no further. They are part of
the first generation (?) of StorageWorks shelves.

There were two backplanes for the DS20E, one 4 x ULTRA-2, the other
one 6 x ULTRA-3, neither of which is compatible, AFAICT, with the
DS20/AS1200 cabinet or wiring harness. These are part of the second
generation (again ?) of StorageWorks shelves, related to the StarLite
series among others, and require SCA-equipped disk drives, unlike
the earlier generation which, IIRC, uses a proprietary connector
technology.

I've seen other commercial external shelves on the web that support
the SCA-style disks and ULTRA-3 (160) and maybe even ULTRA-4 (320),
so that may be tyhe best way to go if you need really large/fast
storage on that AS1200 today...

Good luck.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com