what's in the kernel?

Hi,

I'm running 2.2.20 on a Alphaserver 1000A. I'm new to debian, used to have
Suse mostly. Since I trusted the "apt-get" installation, I tried a upgrade
to 2.4.18, but the machine didn't come up again (I have no root, I want to
scream). After some fiddling to get back booting the 2.2.20 kernel, I found
that the 2.4.18 installation made me a initrd.img file in the root dir,
while the old kernel seemed to have a initrd file at the same place.
Since there's no lilo (I think), where do I tell what initrd file to use?
And another thing is, I'm not too sure that there's Mylex DAC960 support in
the 2.4.18 kernel, and I have to boot from a raid5. How can I check what's
compiled into the kernel?

Lars