Re: SIGFPE and -mieee

Okay.  So your problem is that you have an EV5 and you don't want me pushing
though something that will slow your numerical simulations way down.  That
makes sense.

My problem is as follows.  Right now I've got 44 packages pinned at various
releases that I've recompiled with -mieee to get working.  I did this about
three weeks ago.  I am now running into problems where I can't install
package x because I don't have latest release of library y (i.e. library y,
or something library y depends on, is one of my 44 pinned packages).

I don't want to spend a great deal of time compiling, bug reporting, and
waiting, so I would like to take care of my current 44 packages (and all
possible future ones) with one email to the 'package maintainers list' (i.e.
something along the lines of please add the original bit of code I posted to
your rules files).*

I think then (correct me if I'm wrong), we are agreed that this is an okay
course to take for desktop application (i.e. not ATLAS/BLAS, LAPACK, etc)?
We can, of course, also tag any other specific applications that do a lot of
numerical crunching and that -mieee slow down noticeably (now and/or as they
arise).

So then, the only thing left is that I'm really quite clueless about the
Debian process?  How do I get this change made to the non-numerically
intensive application packages?

Is there such a thing as the 'package maintainers list' to post an email about
-mieee to?  Are the Alpha builds maintained by separate people?  Is their a
guideline for new package maintainers I could get supplemented with -mieee
info?  Could we just put it in the GCC specs file so it becomes the default
on all packages that don't specifically turn it off?

Thanks & Later -T

*It is not so easy to tell if it's the main package or one of the libraries it
depends on (or both) that has to be compiled with -mieee.  This makes for a
very time consuming cycle of recompilations.

--
 Tyson Whitehead  (-twhitehe@uwo.ca -- WSC-)
 Computer Engineer                        Dept. of Applied Mathematics,