Re: AS255, X not running

Update :
dpkg-reconfigure worked but the only thing I can get is a half-screen
640x480 8bits using vga driver and oversized mouse pointer and icons. Other
depth leads to fatal server error and pressing ctrl alt -/+ does not change
anything (obvious since I have only one resolution). KDE is running now but
in half screen and everything is oversized, I probably should try a
lighter/less ressource hungry desktop. Still trying to find info on my gfx
card. It is a cirrus logic GD5429 with probably 2Mb but I am not sure and I
use PCI:0:12:0 . I also disable pex5 in x module so no more error about
this.
I have a voodoo2 gfx card installed as well but AFAIK X does not support it.
I am aware of the glide driver but the only access to the AS255 is the CD.
Lio

> Hi there.
>
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 07:38:19PM -0400, Keith Grider wrote:
>> Same here, kinda. I have woody running on an XP1000. X bombs out when I
>> type 'startx' or 'xinit', but I can type xf86cfg, get a window and load
>> a wm and run programs, etc. When I save the cfg file and try to fire it
>> up again, it complains about a missing something or other...
>
> Don't run xf86cfg directly. Try "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86"
> (without the quotes of course)...
>
>> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module pex5
>> (EE) Failed to load module "pex5" (module does not exist, 0)
>
> During dpkg-reconfigure, debconf will ask you for the modules to load.
> It appears that pex5 is no longer bundled with X, since it is now
> "superseded by Mesa/OpenGL", so deselect it.
>
>> (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libxtt.a
>> Duplicate symbol TT_FreeType_Version in
>> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libxtt.a:xttmodule.o
>> Also defined in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libfreetype.a
>
> Both "xtt" and "freetype" are modules that handle the rendering of
> TrueType fonts and may thus conflict with each other. Depending on
> various factors (e.g. the font server in use, existence or not of
> truetype fonts in your system, etc.) you may or may not need any of
> them. In any case, don't select them both.
>
> Bye,
> Nick.
>
> --
> Nick "Noth" Ntarmos     | <ntarmos at ceid dot upatras dot gr>
> NetCINS Lab. @ C.E.I.D. | [http://students.ceid.upatras.gr/~ntarmos/]
> U. of Patras - Greece   | ( 38.2594N, 21.7428E ) ( 1024D / CF95160A )

Regards
--
Amiga, THE computer they could not kill...
Message generated on A1200T+BPPC+BVPPC, YAM2.3