Re: AlphaStation 500 MILO problems + Voodoo questions

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Jay Estabrook wrote:

> > I managed to install linux (again, again SRM console), but it's not
> > being initialized by Xfree (nor SRM), although XFree86 is set up
> > correctly and seems to run fine (except I don't see anything).
> > Also, the tdfxfb Framebuffer load fine, but isn't able to produce any
> > display.

BTW, I tried serial console and 'set console graphics' - in the latter
configuration I can't see anything, so I login remotely. The result is the
same - black screen on CRT or LCD - no 'out of sync' message nor 'no
signal' or 'not connected', just a black screen/no change.

> Did you update the SRM console to the latest available at: >
> 	http://ftp.digital.com/pub/digital/Alpha/firmware

Yes, I did upgrade before I installed Linux. Later I realized that the
firmware was actually uptodate already.

> If not, it's possible that the latest SRM contains a BIOS emulator
> that will work with the Voodoo3 3000.

Unfortunately not :-(

> > The AS500 (Codename Bret) is IIRC pretty close to a 'Alcor' (AS600),
> > so I chose this MILO image. Unfortunately it stops when trying to run MILO
> > (at 'Swapping to PALcode at 0x0'), so I tried other images, with the
> > same result. Well, at least the MILO for pc164 showed some more success
> > (MILO stops, at the prompt I try to boot Linux from the CDROM, but stops
> > with SCSI timeouts), and the xlt is also promising (similar to the pc164
> > expericence, but stops when trying to spinning up the SCSI harddisk,
> > although the HD automatically spins up when getting power).

Again, using 'set console serial' and 'set console grahpics' just to get
sure. So MILO is only booted correctly - and displayed on the monitor - when
using pc164 or xlt, but it can't boot Linux from there ...

> > Any clues how to install Debian using ARC on a AS500 or
> > (even better) any clue how to get the Voodoo running when using SRM?

I tried 'set PCI_PARITY on' and 'off', tried changing the card to 64bit or
changing it any other 32bit slot, tried Int10 and NoInt10, tried with
DRI (using tdfx kernel module) and without, tried the tdfxfb framebuffer
kernel module .... just a black screen, and never an error message!

> You should have the best luck with an XLT MILO, as the BRET and XLT
> are extremely close, architecture-wise.
>
> If there is a CDROM attached to the SCSI bus as well as the HD, try
> disconnecting the CDROM before powering up and booting MILO. I know
> that's not the best long term solution, but if you get it to see the
> HD, you have made some progress...

The SCSI hd and cdrom are detected, but it tries to spin it up
immeadately afterwards ... andseems to stop then.
> > And a second thing: does anybody know where to get the EISA Configuration
> > Disk (since you can't get them on the internet anymore due to legal
> > reasons)? My sound doesn't work and I tried some settings people here
> > said that might work, but unfortunately they didn't.
>
> The sound should work, it does on mine. It's a Windows Sound System
> clone, so working values are: IO=0x530, IRQ=9, DMA=1, DMA2=0.

Thanks!

BTW, I tried a vanilla linux-2.4.20 with pre5-patch applied (both from
kernel org), but it seems that netfilter/iptables doesn't work (iptables
claims that either the netfilter support is not compiled in (but it is!),
or that iptables is too old (well, it's shipped with woody, and on other
architectures it works - at least I think it's the same version on all
architectures on woody). Any clues?

greetings from Ireland,
Max